The Church of St Mary the Virgin

An Introduction to the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Southwick

The village church in Southwick, adjacent to the Hall, is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin.  The church was built by the Knyvett family in around 1230 and has a 14th-century west tower.  Parts of the church were modernised in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Inside the church is a monument to George Lynn (probably responsible for some of the modernising of the church) by Louis-Francois Roubiliac and which dates to 1758.  It was commissioned by his wife and shows her looking up at a profile of her late husband.

The modern cross and candlesticks used in the church were made from the wood of a tree which had grown in the churchyard and were a thank offering from Edith Capron following recovery from a severe illness in 1931.  The altar rails date from the 18th century.

Other features in the church include wooden panelling originally from Southwick Hall and a pulpit of panelled oak which is possibly part of a three-decker pulpit installed in the church in 1905. 

  

The organ was built in about 1840 by G M Holdich.  It is listed in the British Institute of Organ Studies' register of historic pipe organs as being an instrument of importance to the national heritage and one deserving careful preservation for the benefit of future generations.


Printer Printable Version
Page last updated: 19th Oct 2019 3:02 PM